The Monumental Complex of S. Chiara was built between 1310 and 1328 by the will of King Robert D'Angiò and his wife, Sancia di Maiorca. It includes the Gothic church (Ostia Santa or Sacred Body of Christ, then Santa Chiara), the monastero and the convent and it was erected for the purpose of building a Franciscan citadel to house the Poor Clares in the monastery and the Friars Minor in the convent.
The structure also includes a splendid one majolica cloister composed of 66 pointed arches resting on as many pillars in piperno covered with majolica with plant scenes. Some seats connect the majolica pillars and on them are depicted scenes of everyday life of the time. Frescos from the 700 cover the walls of the four sides of the cloister and represent allegories, scenes from the Old Testament and saints.
On the whole there is also a Neapolitan crib of 700 and 800, Museo dell'Opera, Archaeological Area (Roman thermal baths), Congress area, Convivial area.
Information on the Monumental Complex of Santa Chiara
- Monday to Saturday: 9: 30 - 18: 00
- Sunday: 10: 00 - 14: 30
- last 30 entry minutes before
- Every day: from 7: 30 to 13: 00 - from 16: 30 to 20: 00
Price for the Church:
- free entry
Prices for the Cloister:
- Adults: € 6,00
- Reduced: € 4,50 Students (with document) - Teachers (with document) - Over 65 (with document) - Groups higher than 25 units - Campania ArteCard
- Special rate: € 3,50 for schools and FAI members
How to get:
- Address: Via S. Chiara, 49 –80134 Naples
- From Piazza Garibaldi: Metro L1, Dante station
Complex of Santa ChiaraThe Monumental Complex of S. Chiara was built between 1310 and 1328 by the will of King Robert D'Angiò and his wife, Sancia di Maiorca.
Ticket price for visitors (updated to 21 July 2018):
- Church | 0 €
- Cloister - whole | 6 €
- Cloister - Students (with document) - Teachers (with document) - Over 65 (with document) - Groups | 4.5 €
- School children and FAI members | 3.5 €